St John The Evangelist Church, 92 Glaisnock Street, Cumnock, KA18 1JU
St John’s was the first church in Scotland to be lit by electricity. Built in 1882 by William Burges, it is a rare Scottish example of his work. It was commissioned by the Third Marquis of Bute, John Chrichton-Stuart, one of the richest men in the world. The Marquis had converted to Catholicism and wanted the church to be a special focus for music. The church features ornate painted surfaces, rich furniture, rich stained glass and an altarpiece by J F Bentley and N J Westlake.
It is a very special place for founder and Artistic Director of The Cumnock Tryst James MacMillan, who following family tradition, was baptised and received his First Communion in the church, and as a young man, played the organ there.
- Services: Sunday 10.45am
- Limited parking available at venue
- Blue badge parking available
- Ramped access