CUMNOCK OLD CHURCH
The Square, Cumnock, KA18 1DB
Sitting in the middle of the square in the town centre, Cumnock Old Church was designed by Brown & Wardrop and built in 1866 through the patronage of the Marquess of Bute. The Bute family seats remain in the Memorial Chapel (Weir Schultz, 1896). The current organ was installed in 1966. Interesting features are a mosaic of Jesus walking on the Water by James Harrigan, and the ancient bell in vestibule which was cast in 1697 by Quinus de Vesscher of Rotterdam, and was used in the two churches which preceded the present building.
Services: Sunday 11.30am; on days of opening 12.30pm; plus Friday 12.30pm
ST JOHN'S THE EVANGELIST CHURCH
92 Glaisnock Road, Cumnock, KA18 1JU
St John’s was the first church in Scotland to be lit by electricity. Built in 1882 by William Burges, it is a rare scottish example of his work. It was commissioned by the Third Marquis of Bute, John Chrichton-Stuart, was one of the richest men in the world. The Marquis had converted to Catholicism and wanted the church to be a speci al focus for music. The church features ornate painted surfaces, rich furniture, rich stained glass and an altarpiece by J F Bentley and N J Westlake.
It is a very special place for founder and Artistic Director of The Cumnock Tryst James MacMillan, who following family tradition, was baptised and received his First Communion in the church, and as a young man, played the organ there.
Services: Sunday 10.45am
DUMFRIES ARMS HOTEL
54 Glaisnock Street, Cumnock, KA18 1BY
As well as a concert venue, the comfort and warm welcome offered by Dumfries Arms makes the perfect place for our “Festival Club”. This is where people can meet to eat, drink and socialise during The Cumnock Tryst at all times of day.
Rich in history, The Dumfries Arms Hotel has stood at the heart of Cumnock since the early 18th century and even predates nearby Dumfries House. Over its 300 year history the hotel’s guests have included some colourful and well known characters including our national bard, Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott. Fully renovated in 2011 the Dumfries Arms is a contemporary, stylish boutique Hotel.
Dumfries House Estate, Cumnock, KA18 2NJ
Dumfries House is one of Britain’s most beautiful stately homes and best kept heritage secrets. It has sumptuous interiors and magnificent furnishings, all set in two thousand acres of land. Built between 1754 and 1759 for the 5th Earl of Dumfries, and with a unique collection of Chippendale furniture, the House has been described as an 18th century time-capsule since the principal rooms and their contents have remained virtually unchanged for 250 years.
In June 2007, HRH The Prince of Wales, headed a consortium of charities and heritage bodies to purchase this unique house, its contents and adjoining land, in order to keep this historical jewel intact and accessible to the public.
The House is only the beginning. HRH The Prince Charles has also set in motion several exciting projects that will not only reinvigorate the surrounding area, but will also create a lasting and creative legacy for many years to come.
Ayr Road, Cumnock, Ayrshire, KA18 1EH
Cumnock Academy is a non-denominational, co-educational, comprehensive school, where all religious groups, sexes, and abilities are taught. The pupil roll, taken in August 2011, stands at 881 students, although the building can cater for up to 1800 pupils.
The Cumnock Academy building on Ayr Road has been used as the town’s main secondary school since 1969, swapping places with Greenmill Primary School, who relocated to their current site on the Barrhill Road. The buildings were extended in 1970, with the Social and Recreational Wing being added in 1971.
All-weather astroturf pitches were added to the facilities in 2007, and can be used by the community during the evenings and weekends. A state-of-the-art recording studio was installed in the Music Department in 2009, complete with Pro Tools software & a custom-built isolation booth.
Well Road, Auchinleck, KA18 1BY
The Boswell Centre is in the small town of Auchinleck, two miles north-west of Cumnock. It is a new, state-of-the art community centre whose resources include two community halls, a library, a daycare centre and flexible spaces for multi-purpose use.
It is named after the author and diarist James Boswell (1740 - 1795), Laird of Auchinleck, who lived in Auchinleck House on the family estate.